712 East Market Street
Residence of Wayne and Zita Angelo
Henry S. Hiestand House
Benjamin F. Hiestand (1828-1919), patriarch of the family and a prominent lumber merchant, purchased several vacant lots and some surrounding farmland at the east end of Marietta in 1885. He laid out “Hiestand’s Addition” as an extension of the borough, and in 1895, he sold two-and-one-fourth lots to his son, Henry. Henry S. Hiestand (1869-1940), a second-generation lumber merchant, built “Sunnybank” at this location in 1897. The eminent Lancaster architect C. Emlen Urban designed this graceful home for him in the Victorian Colonial Revival style. Outstanding exterior features are the elaborate dormers.
The interior includes wonderful architectural features emblematic of the era of master craftsmen. These include the use of quarter-sawn wood in the staircase which is embellished with curved stained glass windows and a window seat. The oak, chestnut and maple floors were milled at the nearby family lumberyard. There are coffered ceilings, ornate wood moldings and a butler’s pantry with its original cabinetry. Decorations include greens and candles and whimsical Beri Bristle Brush Animals.
104 East Front Street
Residence of Kirk and Sherree McElroy
This attractive brick residence is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is notable in Marietta for its Georgian Townhouse style of architecture. It was probably built about 1813 by Joseph Bucher. He experienced financial difficulties, and the property was sold by the High Sheriff of Lancaster County in 1816. In 1870, the home was purchased by Capt. Frederick Waller (1834-1914) who was an eminent pilot on the Susquehanna River for over six decades. His wife, Mme. Clara Waller (1858-1951), was a widely respected German scholar who resided here until she passed away in 1951. The current owners purchased the house in 1997.
The interior is decorated for the holidays with live greens. Interesting features include the side hall with its wide, winding stairway, rooms with 12-foot ceilings and six fireplaces. Much of the woodwork in the house is original. The Keeping Room, with its walk-in fireplace, was featured in the February 1976 edition of the magazine Good Housekeeping.
16 East Front Street
Residence of Bruce and Angie Gross
“White Swan Hotel”
The County, Borough and 1815 U.S. Direct Tax records for this property suggest that the original log section on the west was built about 1808 by John Hain, making it one of the oldest surviving structures in Marietta. The frame Federal section was added about 1812 /1813 and was built by innkeeper Samuel McKinney (1786-1843). During its heyday, the “White Swan Hotel” was one of the best known hostelries in Marietta. It operated as an inn or hotel from 1811 to 1930. Throughout its history, it has survived a number of floods, some of which were major natural disasters.
The entrance room has been recreated as a tavern that carries on the tradition of the White Swan and makes a perfect setting for entertaining. A trip up the two-hundred-year-old stairway leads to the second floor ballroom that now serves as the master bedroom. Returning to the down stairs, one sees attractive Christmas decorations in the spacious public rooms that were once part of the inn and the newly renovated kitchen with its walk-in fireplace. Exiting at the rear of the main building leads one to the “stable” area that has been cleverly converted to a comfortable family room. The Grosses have taken great care in preserving one of Marietta’s gems.
4 East Hazel Avenue
Residence of Dennis Traub and Victor Still
Tax records suggest that this Federal style house was built about 1810 by Matthias Ranck (1783-1838) who engaged in the lumber business. He was a private in Grosh’s Marietta Greys who marched to Marcus Hook in the War of 1812. Thomas Stence (1806-1880) purchased the house in 1848, and his son, Samuel (1827-1893), acquired it from his father’s estate in 1881. The building was remodeled during the 1880’s when a two-story addition was added to the east end. Both Stences were also shoemakers, and their boot shop was operated out of this residence.
When the current owner purchased the property in 1978, the intent was to restore it to as a single family dwelling retaining as many of the original elements as possible. Some of the most notable work was matching and replacing missing wood trim, and opening fireplaces that had been closed. When the present kitchen was installed, dozens of pairs of shoes were discovered under the floor, a testament to its early history of having been owned by shoemakers.
The interesting history of this house is enhanced by the varied décor, making each room a treat to see along with the holiday decorations and an overall feeling of hominess. An additional treat is a view of the gardens that are an ongoing project.
23 West Market Street
Residence of Rick and Chris Stoutzenberger
A log building was erected on this lot prior to 1820, and from then until 1855 it was a tavern. The last tavern owner was Benjamin Taylor who named it the “Jefferson Hotel”. In 1855, Samuel P. Sterritt (1823-1908) purchased the property, tore down the old tavern and built the present brick building. From 1879 to 1899, it was the home and office of Dr. George W. Reich, a prominent physician who had an extensive practice and was highly esteemed in the borough. Later, it housed the Western Union Telegraph and Cable office, and the W.H. Sultzbach lighting and sporting goods business. The current owners purchased the property in 1996, and they have future plans to restore the summer kitchen, smokehouse, side-by-side outhouses and second and third floor balconies.
The home has many interesting feature including the central hallway with its “grand stairway” and a stained glass window, a reopened “servant” stairway, a walk-in fireplace in the kitchen, double doors in every room on the first floor and original lighting fixtures and woodwork through much of the house. The dining room is notable for its Shaker style furnishings. Another feature to which the owners like to call attention is the “funeral window/door”. Holiday decorations, most of which were made by the owners, are to be seen throughout the house as well as several Christmas trees adorned with old-world Victorian and antique ornaments.
136-138 West Market Street
Residence of Patrick and Kelly Kline
Records suggest that the eastern (original) section of the house was built by Martin Kendig, an apothecary who came to Marietta about 1811. When the Marietta Bank failed in 1819, many entrepreneurs were financially ruined. The property was seized by the sheriff and sold at public vendue in 1822, but Kendig was somehow able to regain ownership, and he and his family lived here until 1830. The house was next owned by Dr. Jacob Glatz (1803-1845), who moved to Marietta in 1827, and engaged in the drug business as well as his medical practice. He also served twice as Marietta Postmaster and operated the Marietta/Accomac Ferry. With his stepfather, Christian Keesey, he built the famous inn and tavern on Front Street, now known as the Railroad House, that originally catered to ferry travelers. In the 1950’s and 1960’s, Dr. Edward Kottcamp’s home and office were here.
The interior of this Federal house is as interesting as its history. The décor reflects the expertise of the owners whose family-owned business, Family Heirloom Weavers in Red Lion, PA, specializes in reproducing 18th and 19th century textiles. The home was featured in the June 2012 issue of Harrisburg Magazine. There are fascinating examples of early through late Victorian furnishings throughout the house which is decorated for the season in a Victorian theme. Last but not least, the English style garden with its statues is a final treat.
160 West Market Street
Residence of David deVitry
Benjamin Long (1787-1859) was a miller from Donegal Township who settled in New Haven (east Marietta) in 1811. In 1812, he purchased Lot #53 in Waterford (west Marietta) where he built this two-story federal house and where he began a stint as an innkeeper. In 1813, Long purchased land adjacent to and north of the Waterford area from the Anderson family and laid out his own development. This development did not prove profitable, and his home was sold at sheriff’s sale in 1817 as subsequently were many of the lots he had laid out. One of the principle creditors who forced those sales was none other than The Marietta and Susquehanna Trading Company that was begun as a private banking house in the rear wing of Long’s property. In 1828, Long left Marietta for the Niagara frontier where he helped to organize the town of Tonawanda, NY.
This home is one of the four well-preserved federal mansions that grace corners of the square of Marietta. The house has many notable interior features including a beautiful elliptical stairway and a large walk-in fireplace in the kitchen. It is furnished and decorated in a manner representing the early days of Marietta. Mr.deVitry is the third generation of his family to live here.
214 West Market Street
Residence of Richard and Mary Ann McIlnay
One of the most beautiful homes in Marietta, and one of the most outstanding examples of Federal architecture in Lancaster County, this home was built about 1810 by a carpenter named John Hoyer.
From 1830 to 1865, it was the home of Dr. Samuel Houston (1792-1865), an ardent abolitionist and close friend of Thaddeus Stevens. Dr. Houston despised slavery and often aided runaway slaves on the Underground Railroad. On one occasion, his rhetoric against the practice so infuriated local opponents that he found it necessary to leave town for a while to escape threats of bodily harm. The house remained in the possession of Dr. Houston’s descendants until 1945.
In 1967, it was purchased by Robert and Mary Cresswell, Mrs. McIlnay’s parents, who restored it and preserved its early charm that includes nine fireplaces and a separate open-hearth summer kitchen. Known as “Westerly”, it is furnished with a wonderful collection of period furniture and is decorated appropriately for the season.
255 West Market Street
Residence of Elizabeth Miller and Mason Kibler
This attractive Federal town house appears to have been built by Frederick Long, a tailor, about 1810 in what was then known as Waterford, the area where founder James Anderson had laid out lots. The property changed ownership several times in the next few years and was acquired in 1814 by William Goodyear. The Goodyear family resided here until 1858. At sometime, it may have been a butcher shop. Charles Kelly purchased the house in 1919, and members of his family lived here until 1982. From 1994 to 2011, it housed “Le Petit Museum of Music Boxes” where owners David Thompson and George Haddad displayed their fine collection of music boxes, miniature items and other objects d’art.
The current owners purchased the property on November 1, 2011. Some items of interest to be seen here are an Adams mantle, the original exterior that can be seen in the kitchen, and the attractive family room that was added in the 1990’s. Decorations for the Christmas season include live greens sparkling with white lights and fruit accented with gold and silver.
276 West Market Street
Residence of Keith and Carol Shadle
This home was built in 1872 by Israel Goodman who was listed as a “carpenter/general contractor/architect/developer” in the tax records. It is typical of the substantial brick and frame homes built in Marietta during the days of economic prosperity that followed the Civil War when the lumber and iron industries flourished. It was later the home of Dr. E. L. Corman and then Dr. John Brown, both of whom were heads of Wyeth Laboratories, a pharmaceutical corporation that produced vaccines. (This local facility has been in continuous operation for over one hundred years and is now part of GlaxoSmithKline.)
Mrs. Shadle was one of the two MRA members who operated the Holiday Gift Shop at the old bank building that was a drawing card on tours of past years. Her talent for display and decoration is evidenced in the delightful collections of cut glass, Quimper Ware and hat pins, to mention just a few, that can be seen here. Another interesting feature is the lovely rear yard with its patio, courtyard and scenic brick pathways. All this can be enjoyed amid attractive seasonal decorations. The current owners have lived here since 1980 and have furnished their home with antiques.
Musselman/Vesta Furnace Office
Marietta Restoration Associates (MRA) Project
Marietta Restoration Associates invites you to visit the Musselman/Vesta Office to see the newly restored interior. Paint analysis revealed that the front door and the wainscoting in the main room were grain painted. The plaster walls, beautiful window frames and refinished floors show the building as it would have looked in 1868 when it was built. In 2003, MRA obtained a 99-year lease from the Lancaster County Parks and Recreation Department. Leonard (Lenny) Droege, Jr., assumed the responsibility of Executive Director of the project. He embarked on the task of restoring what was then a very dilapidated building that the county had considered razing. Because the building is located in the Chickies Historic District and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, rehabilitation was required to be done according to their standards. Photographs of the progress of the restoration over the past eight years tell the story.
A diorama that is currently under construction is expected to be a drawing-card for visitors to the area. Artifacts are being gathered and inventoried, some of which are on exhibit. The purpose of the project has been to restore the Musselman/Vesta Office to house a museum and information center to tell the story of the anthracite iron industry that flourished here in the latter half of the 19th century. The story of the part of Lancaster County that was once called “Little Pittsburgh” will be told here as an educational offering to the public, especially those using the Northwest River Trail that is expected to open in this area in 2013.
The Musselman/Vesta Furnace was built in 1868 Henry Musselman and Henry Miller Watts and operated by Musselman, a prominent and very successful ironmaster. He moved from Mount Joy to Marietta about 1848 at the time when the anthracite iron industry was being established along the Susquehanna River between Marietta and Columbia. The Musselman furnace (later known as Vesta) was the last of eight furnace complexes built between 1844 and 1868 in the two miles between Marietta and Columbia. Over the past eight years, with funds from county and private grants and many hours of volunteer time by Lenny Droege and others, the office has finally been reclaimed.
The Annual Pig Iron Fest and Car Show are held here every year on the last Sunday in September. Rivertownes PA USA has been associated with MRA on the project.